Friday, October 31, 2008

Do You Recognize Me?

Is there a better Bolles composition than this? None other than Francis Smilby called it "one of the most beautiful of all pinup covers" and who could rightly argue with him. Look at all the detail Bolles put into her dress, yet none of it is strained or overworked. And the subtle transparency of the material; what trouble Bolles took to let the deco motif show through on the left side. He even threw in one of his amorphic shadows for good measure to counterbalance the curvature of the motif (these shadows were a regular feature of his work and I'll be doing a separate post on them one of these days).

4 comments:

marco said...

very interesting points you made, i look forward to your coming post on shadows, i noticed they are really intriguing in other Bolles' pictures.

Dominic Bugatto said...

Excellent blog, I'll be by often.

Huge Bolles fan too.

Jack R said...

Hi Marco, I'll do one of my montages of these shadows sometime soon.

Hello Dominic! Glad to see you here. I'll have some previously unseen Bolles images up soon.
Jack

{Tara} said...

Lovely cover -- I love the mask.