Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Today is National Legwear Day! Enoch Bolles has them covered

 


Today's celebration is right up our man Enoch's alley. While painting covers for Filim Fun and other magazines in the 1920s Enoch had a busy side gig going in the advertising field. I've posted examples of his trolley card work and a few example of his fashion illustrations, but had intended to save his hosiery box art for the Bolles book (which is back in play) until now. On this special day I couldn't resist and we see what I consider a masterpiece of ilustration art. Or as they used to say, she's the knees bees!

Bolles did box art for other stocking companies, many but not all of which feature the same model. The example below is an exception, and one I feel is particularly charming. It's chock fully of Bolles' stylistic flourishes. How many can you find? No examples of the original art of this work have yet been found, but there is always hope.


  




No comments: