Thursday, April 23, 2009

Arbor-Item!

In celebration of Arbor day I've posted this lovely cover from 1930. The image as it appears on the cover of Film Fun is is quite muted and details of the blossoms washed out, so I've taken some major photoshop liberties in punching up the register. It seems improbable that Bolles could ever have done a chromatically dull painting. If you compare a painting with the printed product, it is immediately evident that the colors in the original were compromised. So when a faded cover shows up my assumption is it's either cheap printing or an uninspired engraver (or both). Bolles was a careful observer of nature and enjoyed painting landscapes where trees were prominent in the compositions. It makes me wonder why he didn't do professional work for nature or sporting magazines.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute picture! Love the caption. :D

Jack R said...

You know, it just dawned on me that a lot of my captions are in the same jokey vein as those on Film Fun covers.

Alan Wrobel said...

Just beautiful Jack, thanks. Fits the spring mood nicely.

Gary Underwood said...

Nice restoration Jack, thanks

Jack R said...

I'm glad people are enjoying this cover. All it needed was a bit of Spring cleaning.

marco said...

about the restoration, i think the colours are very well balanced, well in context with the spring theme. it's a cool cover!