Saturday, October 3, 2009

Just a Little Taste

My interest in Enoch Bolles began over a decade ago, and as many of you know it has evolved into a goal to publish a book about his life and art. Toward that end I've worked to learn as much as I can about him and to root out new examples of his art, both published and in the original. Its been frustrating at times but there have been successes in uncovering "new" examples of magazine covers and advertising art as well as locating originals owned by collectors who have graciously allowed me to have them photographed for the book. Some of this material has appeared in the articles on Bolles and Film Fun I've written for Illustration Magazine. In additional to these articles, a sampling of previously unseen art and photos has made its way on this site. Still, much of what I've found has remained in storage so to speak, for the obvious reason that if it's already up on the web or published in an article what's the point of a book. But hoarding it has been no fun at all so from time to time I'll be serving up some toothsome hors d'oeuvres. On tonight's menu we have a very rare 1923 vintage cover to Film Fun, taken directly from the proof. Consider it a sort of amuse oeil.

8 comments:

darwination said...

Yummy! Thanks, Jack. I cannot explain it one bit, but I always find the juxtaposition of pin-ups and feast food very strange. I'm reminded of a Ward Tattle Tales cover that also sends me mixed signals.

http://i33.tinypic.com/21kf9xd.jpg

Keep up the good work, when your book comes out I will be first in line!

Jack R said...

I agree a hundred percent. Yet, as far as turkey's go, all I can think when I look at that Ward cover (thanks for sharing it) is nice drumsticks! Probably the worst Judge cover Bolles did involved a girl and left over turkey. But, I do like the examples of Bolles girls and soda fountain drinks. It might make a good theme for a post.

Dominic Bugatto said...

Whatta great face !

Artman2112 said...

you can count me in on purchasing a copy of your book too!

Jack R said...

Thanks, now all I have to do is get it published. I even have an agent, but the book publishing industry is in the dumps, especially for art books about obscure illustrators.

Alan Wrobel said...

Just stunning! I love how her fingers make an E for Enoch's 'signature'

G.G. said...

Jack, just wanted to make sure you knew about this original Bolles paintings auction in Dallas later this month:

http://www.ha.com/common/search_items.php?txtSearch=bolles

Jack R said...

Hi G.G.,
Thanks for the alert on this. I did know and have been breaking all my piggy banks but alas, I am coming up a bit short :(
Jack
P.S., Love you blog!