Friday, October 30, 2009

Can you see me better now?



I was sure I had a nicer version of this cover somewhere and here she is, courtesy of TJ and his amazing photoshop skills. The post of this cover from yesterday has "peeked" the interest of a lot of readers of this blog; I've received several other examples of keyhole covers from Beau and so now we know that other artists were onto this theme before Bolles. Mark told me about a Kay Francis movie where a keyhole motif was used as part of the title sequence. I'd love to see that! At some point I'll post all the other examples I come across and see how far back we can trace the girl through the keyhole theme. Finally, in celebration of Halloween here's a cute Spicy Stories cover from 1935. Sorry again for low quality but I only have this as a scan and not a very good one.


6 comments:

Artman2112 said...

actually it was me who mentioned the Kay Francis film, unless of course we BOTH did! i think i have it on tape somewhere, IF i can find it i'll see if i can snap a screen shot or something.

Jack R said...

Oops. Can you tell that I'm posting these updates in the middle of three consecutive days of eight hour meetings. I'd be hugely grateful for a screen shot. Mark had mentioned that early stag films (1915!) used keyholes, as did Tijuana bibles.

Craig Clarke said...

The Keyhole is pleasant little romantic comedy with some twists -- worth keeping an eye out for. The keyhole motif is used at the beginning and at the end.

Great blog, by the way.

Jack R said...

Hi Craig,
Thanks for this link. I hadn't realized that the title of the movie is The Keyhole. I'll be sure to take a "peek".
Jack

Artman2112 said...

hey Jack i found my tape of the Keyhole and snapped a crappy digi camera image off the TV (low low low tech i know) of the opening keyhole shot. If you wanna see it let me know where i can send it to ya.

Artman2112 said...

oops nevermind i checked your profile and grabbed yer e-mail addy from there.