Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spring Preening!

Spring has sprung and as you'll see over the next few days, we're going to be sprucing up the joint, courtesy of web design master, Brandon Dawley. Let us know what you think of our new header (we may try some others). This lovely cover is from 1925, and I've decided to leave her in the original. No harsh digital cleaners have touched this image. I know that goes against some of the discussion from an earlier post, but I think she looks great as is. And as a bonus there were some really interesting photos to be found in this issue. The first is of a very young "Morna Loy" who was all of 20 years old when this was published. A few pages later there appears a very daring photo of Norma Shearer. Check it out! I'm half-surprised they didn't refer to her as Nyrma. I checked through the rest of the magazine and was disappointed to find no more gems and then I came across the image below on the back cover. It's the debut issue of Wit of the World, a new magazine that must have been the straw that put Leslie-Judge into bankruptcy, hastened perhaps because they shelled out for a cover by the great John Held Jr. The magazine lasted all of one year and was edited by Norman Anthony who ran Film Fun and Judge. He'd have far better luck a few years later with Ballyhoo. As you might have predicted Bolles did a cover for this magazine and you'll see it soon.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I just want to add to this entry: Brandon Dawley is far from a web designer, let alone a 'master'. I am a print graphic designer/illustrator who knows a little bit about manipulating html. very little.
Call me a Web Design Helper.
I'm on board with Jack because he's a Bolles master who writes a kickass blog. thanks!

Jack R said...

Ok, I stand amended. The Dawl is a humble web master.

cartoonretro said...

What a beauty! Thanks for sharing her.
S.

Jack R said...

Hi Shane,
Glad you like her. Bolles loved to paint flower girls.