Friday, May 21, 2010

Sailor Suited





After the last post on what I thought were all the Bolles Film Fun covers with white costume themes, it was kindly brought to my attention that not only were there more of them, they were girls in uniforms no less. Alas, I'd been sloppy in my research. So I am posting two more sailors from even earlier issues of Film Fun. To make things interesting--and to atone from my previous lapse--I've thrown a a couple of extras. As you can see from the 1927 Film Fun above, Bolles either inspired this postcard or swiped it, my guess is the former. What's surprising to me is how closely the uniform follows the painting and just how risqué it comes off by comparison. It just goes to show that what Bolles could get away with in an illustration would, when translated to the 'real thing,' be a lot less acceptable for consumption by the general public, or at least it seems so to me. And if that weren't enough, here's yet another swipe of the cover, used for a 1928 issue in a German publication called Das Magazin. From time to time in past posts I've shared other examples of copied covers, and I never fail to find it curious when some cover images but not others take on a second life.
To our left is another fabulous cover girl in white from 1925, which I like even better. In fact one Film Fun reader was so smitten, he wrote a poem about her using the cover caption that was published in a later issue:
Our old friend Omar told us
To turn down an empty glass.
No doubt the man from Khorasan
Knew that all joy must pass,
But even sages sometimes learn
On yachts, if not in town.
I'll bet you Omar wouldn't turn
This empty goblette down
Lt.-Col. Wilfred Bowey


As nice as this cover is, it pales in comparison to the original, and you can compare for yourself in this detail from the actual painting.








And finally, I couldn't resist including this.
As you can see, these "Jack Tars" were enthusiastic Film Fun fans. I'll soon be posting more sailor girls wearing even more imaginative interpretations of sailor suits designed by Bolles.












1 comment:

carolina muscle said...

I love this post... the Bolles art is terrific, of course, but that postcard is somethin else.