Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Snowball


Such a great image, I'm only sorry I had to doctor it up so much, but it was the best that could be done with a middling scan. I'll be curious to hear if you prefer the previous scan that I didn't meddle with over this. Bolles painted for his personal enjoyment and completed a number of snowscapes. Here we see an effective integration of the chilly outdoors into the bullet theme we visited in a previous post.


.

And here is one of my favorite Bolles advertising illustrations, which also happens to center on the theme of nature and the changing of the seasons. Not only is it an unusually sensitive treatment of the outdoors in, of all things, a mayonnaise ad but the composition has a nice flow despite the static structure in the composition. Notice how the lid and label of the jar continue the line of the hills from Winter to Spring. Bolles also hand lettered this.

No comments: