Wednesday, November 12, 2008

November 12, Elizabeth Cady Stanton's birthday

Sorry about the poor resolution but I wanted to get this image up today, and there was no way I could have dug up the issue and rescanned it in time. So here we see Bolles championing the right of women to vote, or at least he agreed to take on this assignment. Actually, for his time Bolles was very progressive as to the role of women in society. Among other things he encouraged his daughters to participate in sports, pursue higher education and follow their interests wherever they led them. From my biased perspective I think is evident in his work. Yes, he was a pin-up artist and his covers are laden with clichés and slathered with sex-appeal; some of the standard ingredients of objectification. But I think there is something more that comes through. Among other things his art is more gracious and affable compared with that of other pin-up artists of his time and since. And his girls certainly were more competent than the competition; they skied, climbed, flew and skydived while the others merely primped and preened.

2 comments:

{Tara} said...

the Judge covers were all so amazing -- this one is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Jack R said...

Hi Tara, I'm so glad you like this one, as it is so different from the rest. I'll be posting more soon.
Jack